The 9th Edition of the wine contest Certamen de Calidad Vinos DOP Yecla “San Isidro” was held at the headquarters of the Appellation of Origin Yecla where the quality of the wines, submitted by the wineries they control, were blind tasted by the national and international prestigious professional tasters that were once again directed by Mr Adrian Martinez Cutillas.
This contest, which is approved by the IWO, strictly complies with submission, tasting and scoring rules and ensures the anonymity of each sample submitted and tasted.
Depending on the scores attained by the samples tasted for each of the six categories, the wines are awarded with bronze, silver and gold medals. The categories are whites (1), roses (2) ,young reds vintage 2014 and 2015 (3), oaked reds harvested in 2014 and 2015 (4), oaked reds vintages 2013 and (5) and sweet wines (6).
The general overview on the wines submitted, as signalled by the tasters, was indeed the excellent level of quality in DO Yecla, which is really consolidating this small appellation of origin as producer and exporter of high quality wines providing the region with a wide international projection and future.
Wines from Bodegas Castaño have been awarded with the following medals on each of the contest categories,
3 Gold Medals
- Category 2: Rose wine --> Dominio Espinal Monastrell 2015
- Category 3: Oaked red wine, vintages 2014 and 2015 --> Castaño Monastrell 2015- Category 5: Oaked red wine, vintage 2013 and earlier --> Casa Cisca 2012 and 2013
2 Silver Medals
- Category 1: White wine --> Castaño Macabeo-Chardonnay 2015
- Category 6: Sweets wine --> Castaño Monastrell Dulce 2013
3 Bronze Medals:
- Category 1: White wine --> Dominio Espinal Macabeo 2015
- Category 2: Rose wine --> Castaño Monastrell 2015
- Category 4: Oaked red wine, vintages 2014 and 2015 --> Santa 2014